Sunday, April 01, 2007

Bullet!

When was the last time you heard and/or laughed at a verbal grammatical error? I remember a time in the not-too-distant past when I could not let one slide without saying "Tiaun!", "Bend down for the ahhhh-rowww!" or one of any number of colorful colloquialisms designed to inform nearby listeners that the speaker supposedly could not speak English. I still remember, very vividly, our senior Bible class at Hillcrest about Islam, which was taught by guest lecturer Mallam Musa, a recent Christian convert. For one full week, the entire class was entertained by this cheerfully ignorant man who insisted on speaking this language that he had clearly not fully grasped. He continually and consistently gave us classics like "Mohammed was in danger. When he heard they were coming to kill him, he flied to Medina!" and "He was asleep on the mountain when just of a sudden...." I personally couldn't understand why he chose to lay emphasis on the arrows themselves when he spoke, but it made for great comedy. For the first time in Bible class history, every last one of us looked forward to the end of the day when we could sit in front of him and attend his free show, Mallam Musa ostensibly pleased by our enthusiasm but clearly wondering why we were rolling on the floor in stitches instead of sitting quietly in our seats.

I've since changed my mind about the importance of speaking perfect English, particulary if it's not your first language, but that doesn't make an arrow any less hilarious when I hear a good one.

Clearly, I'm not alone; there's a group on Facebook whose sole purpose is to serve simple folks like me gut-wrenching laughter borne of reading long-forgotten and freshly-shot bullets. I was checking it out today (instead of doing the work that I left my house and came to the library to do), and saw this one that I absolutely cannot stop laughing at:

"See economic growt. America did it, Japan did it, China did it...why can't we did it?" - OBJ

Una helep me o! I don't know whether the actual bullet is funny, or whether it's funny because na Baba talk am, but I'm almost crying, envisioning the seriousness with which he undoubtedly said it and wondering whether anyone was tempted to shout "Bullet!" during his speech. Whichever it is, I now have an insatiable desire for more arrows with which to pierce my funny bone. So now I'm calling all Belly readers: give me your best shots!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

". . . the shortest distance between two lines is a straight point!"

I am pretty sure I got that right. Said by Oliver McCall while describing on live television the punch he threw that knocked out then world heavyweight boxing champion Lennox Lewis.

Anonymous said...

Who is your running mate

Ans: Gwazo, he is always running after me

What minerals have you in your state

Ans: Coke, fanta and sprite

Anonymous said...

'The bank has gone bankruptcy...'
Courtesy of our fone-speaking (de beenk has gone beenk-rop-see) youth corper English teacher - Nkem - who went on to insist that she was absolutely right! Instead of just admitting that she fired that WMD gracefully o!

BTW Kulu, tonight is my last night in bondage o, by 2am (when this library closes) I shall be a partially-free, thesis-draft-submitted, quarter-to-graduating, on-my-way-to-vegas-to-celebrate gal!( moonwalks across library :) I'll ring you when I get back, thinking of having a dinner party next week!

kulutempa said...

lucky bugger! these people sabotaged me when they told me that i didn't have to submit a completed first draft by last friday, so i stupidly stopped writing. i also shall be at sterling until it closes. congratulations on finishing your work though! please hit those nickel slots for me--HARD!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kulutempa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I understand fully, and I do apologize...please feel free to delete the comment/question to avoid further distress.

kulutempa said...

PDR: i appreciate that, really. no major damage done, but i'll comply with your request anyway. keep reading! :)

Omodudu said...

Enter your shoe and follow me.
I am talking you are talking how many talkers.

uknaija said...

Science teacher describing solar powered calculators

"You know, when the sun is making a sort of shiny, if you open it, it just on automatically..."

Anonymous said...

happy easter mami

NaijaBloke said...

Kulu no be ur thesis u suppose dey write wey u sidon dey look for ibon....LOL

This was in conk Ibadan lingo o,so use ya imagination..

"The farible(variable) infolf(involve) in the falu(value) is feri feri (very very) nasoralistik(naturalistic)."

kulutempa said...

NB: my brother, na so we see am o! meanwhile, that your ibon is rivaling UKNaija's beaut.

Adaure Achumba said...

This one from a nigerian journalist on one of themany tv stations....

"Caller you are 'life' on the air go ahead and told us what happend in your area....it seems like you did not understood the question"

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also on TV, I kept on hearing
"VANDALIZATION OF PIPELINES / PIPELINE VANDALIZATION" instead of pipeline vandalism

BabaAlaye said...

I see you there before, i see you here now.
Are you twice?

Anonymous said...

- One, two, three, four , five..
Once i caught a fish alive...

Why did you let it go?
Because it bite my finger so..
Which finger did it bit??

okaayyy