Monday, January 07, 2008

She Misses Him

She is young, in her mid-twenties. At any given moment on any given day, she is desperate for love, to feel love. But not just any kind. It is not enough to hug a friend; the kindness of a heartfelt word is incomplete. She has spent her whole life searching for something, that elusive something, that will make her feel like she's...home.

She looks to prose and poetry, to sea and sky, to birds and trees. She primps, she preens. She buys, she steals. She cries and she grins and she howls and throws things in passionate, reckless arguments with no point. No point, but a purpose: she wants to feel something. Anything. Long ago, she decided pleasant conversation was empty and boring; there is no point opening your mouth unless you have something clever, witty, incendiary to say. If you're just going to talk about the weather, you might as well be dead. Sadly, though, she already feels dead, and nothing touches her that isn't white-hot, or spicy-red, or dry and uncomfortable. Not for her the saccharine sweetness of endless "I love yous", though that is what she craves. Say "I love you" but accompany it with a blow of some kind. Draw blood, if you can - it lubricates love's true path. A sanguinary love that repels her body, but captivates her soul...

She found true love some time ago. He rode in on an unlikely vessel, but attracted her nonetheless. Possibly because she wasn't interested in what he had to offer. Not at first. But eventually, soon, she came to see him differently. His eyes weren't brown; they were blue. The hair on his chest was soft, not coarse and itchy. He loved her, unexpectedly. And she couldn't understand why. But she did know this: don't let him go. That is when she was reborn. And with her, the demon spawn. The troubled child.

The seed of Agramon is seven and has been crying for several years. She did not know love and so doesn't feel it. She knows only pain and craves it like a babe craves its mother's breast. The gentle breeze of peace stirs her. It rouses her from sleep, makes her restless. Because it threatens her, she seeks to destroy it. But she destroys me. She destroyed us.

You showed me one truth, and it was beautiful. Like the turquoise eye of the sea, it awed and frightened me at once. I would give anything to stare at it, without blinking, no trepidation, no quivering, no shame. To walk towards it, surefooted as the mountain lion, not certain but trusting that the next step would not send me hurtling miles below to my untimely death.

If I only knew how.

I would show you the world through my eyes, and seek peace by your side. I would climb to the highest heights of passion with you, and feel safe in your arms, holding your hand (whether you like to or not). I would let you discover me - leg to leg, cheek to cheek, we would walk the path of me and you, of pure and true, of brown and blue, heart to mind to you. No secrets, you would know me through and through. I think I could be happy with someone like you.

But I need more time, and you don't have it. So you've gone. And so I sit, missing you. And Agramon's child, with a smile on her face, sleeps once more.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey i googled 'agramon's child' and your blog came up first.
i really like this.
it's sad and haunting too

how are u?? happy new year..

kulutempa said...

why on earth were you Googling that??
happy new year to you too!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kulutempa said...

RIT, happy new year! (when can we officially stop saying that?) I deleted your comment for one reason only: I don't want people associating your presumption with reality - given the subject matter, that'd be more than a little dangerous. This one isn't meant for everyone to understand. You feel me?

Uzo said...

I was going to leave what i thought was a profound comment but well...i changed my mind

Happy New Year

Anonymous said...

I could not appreciate this fully because I lost my way at the fifth paragraph, where there was a change in narrative point-of-view, from third person omniscient to third person and then later to first person. I became unsure about who was talking about whom, until the final paragraph, when it all seemed to make sense again.

kulutempa said...

for you, patrice, an explanation: consider children who have passed through a traumatic experience and are in the healing process. they displace themselves from the situation to cope, to discuss their feelings about it. it makes it easier to express oneself when one can pretend, to some degree, that the feelings one has belong to another. things that might otherwise be too hard to talk about become easier when you're not talking about yourself.

like i was saying to RIT, this one isn't for everyone to understand - those for whom it was intended get it. so you can leave it at that :-).

Anonymous said...

Boy, do I feel stupid. Of course. I see it now. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I feel you.I am glad u deleted the comment, i did not really want other people to see it.

I stop saying it at the end of the year. It gets me out of "trouble".

Complaining Relative: You have not called/visited/emailed in a long time...
Me: Happy New Year :).


Peace and Love, RIT.

kulutempa said...

y'all must think i'm a master of deduction...i like how you're all anonymous and think i'm going to somehow figure out who you are. complaining relative, ci gaba...continue complaining, ko? then when you're done, feel free to pick up the phone/send me an email/buy a plane ticket. :o)

TheAfroBeat said...

Great post (and blog)!

Even though i wasn't meant to understand this, i still appreciate it...resonates with that longing i sometimes have for MORE. Not sure what that more is, and i beat myself up for not being "content", but there's still something out there...

Atutupoyoyo said...

I won't say anything. Not here.