Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Online De-Registration

I've been on this Naija binge for days. I'm talking: Naija music, Naija movies, Naija dance, Naija politics, Naija thoughts. I think I'm making up for the fact that the whole world (my whole world) is going to Nigeria this Xmas and I feel like the only person who will not be engaging in all the crazy fun that is Christmas in Naija. But, just in case I was forgetting that my country is not necessarily all fun and games, the universe decided to get my cousin to send me the following email and remind me to thank my stars that I'm staying on this side of the Atlantic this year.

My favorite girl goes to ABU in Zaria, the bedrock of education in northern Nigeria...or perhaps it once was and no longer is. Either way, the university seems to be trying to find a way to revamp its image, like the sixty-year-old man who buys a toy sports car, dyes his hair a darker shade, and tries to get a sexy young thang "on bed" (a hilarious stolen excerpt borrowed from one of those Naija movies I've been digesting lately). And this is what they have done.

Hmmmn.
ABU has decided to join the rest of the nation, join the rest of the world and it chose to begin with online registration. and there ain't nuthin mo' to say!!! cuz, i'm sure you can imagine. though even your imagination is nothing as crazy as what I am going through. first, I am not a computer/internet/anything-remotely-technical guru, so my terminology may (may?...WILL!) leave a lot to be desired, but in 2 mins i'll try to give you the lowdown

1. the site(?) is still being designed, so you can't edit your info if its been wrongly entered into theUni's (data...bank...base....?)
2. you apply for accomodation and get it in hostels that dont exist
3. you are allocated a room which mysteriously becomes another room once you log in again
4. a room of two may be allocated to 4 differentpeople
5. there's no way of telling what courses are core and which ones are electives

and the coup de grace (in my opinion) to the whole ABU catching up with the 20th century in the 21st is this...

6. you ask for help from staff - both academic and non-academic - and no one has a clue.

The poor things. And I don't mean just the students - this has to be torture for everyone concerned, including the incompetent techies who obviously lied about their qualifications in order to land this 'contract'. 2007 is going to be the beginning of a great semester for the good people at ABU!

I still feel like I'm missing out on Nigeria sha. This is the first Christmas I've spent in Yankee since 2000! This BLOWS!!

6 comments:

NaijaBloke said...

Naija we hail thee ...

NaijaBloke said...

So Kulu what u doing for xmas ?

Naijadude said...

LOL...Well they shall live, it usually happens when school changes to online registration, but Naija own go everly dey different, "site under construction"...arghhhhhhhhhhhh

Dont miss naija too much, merry xmas to you!

Anonymous said...

christmas number6 spent in yanks...at least i have brand new family to spend it with this year. fuck i'm homesick, i need my mommy to make me some pepe soup with isi-ewu, the sadness abounds during the holidays :(

kulutempa said...

@ naijadude: merry xmas to you too!

@ julia: i feel your pain, babes. let's plan for Naija 2007...i already am. may there be a nigeria to go back to that Christmas! you should come and visit me; i'll make you pepper soup :).

Anonymous said...

LOL...You really had me going for a minute! Was in ABU for a bit( many moons ago) and hated it! I was really getting excited for my ex ABU peeps..but alas.. :(