Tuesday, October 30, 2007

They Have Come Again

I wake up at 6:15 every morning to the sound of someone getting interviewed on NPR. The topic of discussion is typically obscure (the effects of global warming on the development efforts of nouveau-altruists in Alevoor village, near Udupi, India) or insignificant (why don't Americans watch baseball anymore?). You can always tell I'm awake when I mutter sleepily but firmly at my talking box, "You're not the boss of me." But the box always wins, and as I stomp to the bathroom and reach for my toothbrush, sulking at my reflection in the mirror, I get to listen to Steve Inskeep's baritone reading the morning's headlines.

Today was not unlike any other day - I went through the same routine. But I was less pouty as I brushed my teeth, for one big reason: the headlines announced what promised to be an exciting story about French charity workers jailed in Chad on charges of kidnapping and complicity. My interest thus aroused, I was eager, impatient even, to hear the full story and hopefully before I had to get in the shower. As I spit out the last of my mouthwash, Inskeep read the story. I won't go into too much detail, but as I recount it, I will try to use some of the terminology I heard on the radio this morning - basically, aid workers from Zoe's Ark were arrested after trying to "rescue" 100 orphans from Darfur. Chadian officials stopped them and "claimed" that the children were not orphans and that they were not even from Darfur, but from Chad. Deby, the president, is "using" this event to "portray" himself as the "savior" of these children, and the ensuing tension between Chad and France is escalating. Of course, Deby's actions, though "extreme" are not surprising, given his history: after all, he "seized" power 17 years ago and frequently displays a penchance for extremism and heady egoism.

And so on and so forth. The latter half of the story was my favorite: When interviewed, one of the children said, "They came to my father and told him that I could go to school in France...". It would seem therefore - and please, someone correct me if I'm reading too much into this - that this child is neither an orphan nor Sudanese. But that isn't all: knowing that adoption is "strictly illegal" in Muslim countries like Chad, the aid workers "went to great lengths" to ensure they could secret these children out of the country, even going so far as to "wrap bandages around their heads" so they would appear injured. That's a lot of trouble to go to for a non-orphan, is it not? And I'm not saying there is any substance to Deby's claim that they were planning to use these children as involuntary organ donors, or as victims in a pedophile ring, but isn't it right to question their motives in light of these discoveries? And isn't it remarkable how the reporters first chose to villify the president, calling him crazy and his actions unfounded and extreme, only for we the listeners to discover that the French aid workers were indeed being shady??

It is a fascinating study in international relations, at least for me, and one that I wonder if I will ever tire of. The newscasters never did admit that the aid workers were wrong; indeed, one got the sense they wished they never had to mention the fact that at least one child wasn't a Sudanese orphan at all. It was a sheepishly-delivered tidbit, swiftly and briefly transmitted over the airwaves for a split second before they went back to talking about how "unreasonable" Deby is being.

But forget the media commentators; what about the moral issues at stake in this drama? Here you have foreign expatriates who feel that it is perfectly moral to lie, break the law and rip families apart because they believe they have more to offer "the starving children of Africa". And, in terms of monetary wealth, it is oftimes the case that they do. But so what? According to the interviewed child's testimony, they approached his family, not vice versa. Which says to me that they had the distinct goal of taking as many children as possible, regardless of their familiar situation, strictly based on economic condition. Your parents are poorer than we are, ergo you don't need them. Lesson #1 for those African children: Wealth = Happiness. How noble!

It's easy to say that taking our children overseas guarantees them a better life (which it doesn't - a number of our brethren have become criminals and ended up in jail for some of the social conditions they have had to endure, without their family's support), but what about the emotional and psychological damage these young children will suffer being without their parents or other people similar to them who understand their upbringing and world view? When they miss their mother's smell and all they have within reach is a strange white person who may or may not be willing to hold them the way they need to be held, what happens then? And what is really the end result? Do they truly learn that they must "return to the land that birthed them" and "help their people" in the same way their philanthropically-inclined saviors tried to do by spiriting them away (at all costs) in the first place?

I suppose the overarching question I'm asking is: is it worth it? Too often in this world of today, people make decisions based on their own shallow interpretations or - even worse - idealistic, academic notions of how the world should work. And I emphasize should because they seemingly tend to forget that they are dealing with flesh-and-blood human beings when they act, not automatons who live by the principles of Aristotle and Maslow. Is it fair to force families apart, simply because your giant ego thinks you have the solution to all their problems? My guess would be no.

Now is when Chxta would start harping on and on about Africans' responsibility to Africa and how there is no one to blame but ourselves if white people come in and do badly what we have refused to do for ourselves for decades. He's right, but it's no excuse to ignore the transgressions of our so-called saviors when they do wrong. When we do that, they act with increased impunity and then we get this catastrophe. Stealing children and, rather than admit culpability, insult the intelligence of the people who caught them doing it...what the hell!

8 comments:

adefunke said...

Wonderful ...

Chxta said...

I've been following the story, and I can't help thinking that those children are kinda multi-talented or something of the sort...

Yes, the aid workers are wrong, but on the flip side of it, maybe the kids would indeed have gotten a 'better' life in France. Then again that would be another loss for mother Africa (like that hasn't been happening since time immemorial).

To be honest, this is one situation that has me confused...

Ozymandias said...

I've also been following this story with a lot interest since it developed, and today some of the accused French nationals have been freed just as Sarkozy went to Chad to meet with Idriss Deby... In my opinion, I have felt something has been wrong, not just with the way the foreign media has protrayed this issue as "aid workers who're innocent and being oppressed in a lawless african country", which is usual with them in issues relating to less developed nations, culminating with the UNSCHEDULED visit of the French president to Chad...Why the rush?

There certainly is a cover up and my intuition tells me this is definitely a child smuggling ring or something more sinister that someone or some people are trying to hide, and this might not be the first case of child smuggling...african countries are not that efficient in policing its borders.

Even if the children are going to get a "better" life in France, a country still struggling with effectively integrating immigrants into its society, I don't think anyone has the right to uproot those children (103 of them !) from their roots under the pretense of being refugees at such a young age and in such suspicious circumstances.

It greatly saddens me that when events like this happen, the bias of the western media towards african and less developed nations is so profound and always leaves a particularly sour taste in my mouth....this reminds me of the Libyan case with the Bulgarian nurses and Palestinian doctor.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and see if the accused aid workers in Chad are above the law because they're French citizens or if justice would be carried out appropriately.

Sorry if this is too long.

Uzo said...

I have been following this story and honestly, i am confused. On the face of it, the aid workers did what a lot of africans cant seem to do - help their children..On the other hand...

Your perspective is interesting...

Unknown said...

Kidnapping is kidnapping,no? This is just a diplomatic political non sense. What is a "better life"? Kidnapping is kidnapping, no? This is just a diplomatic/political nonsense. What is a "better life", who defines what a better life is? One should come to equity with clean hands. The rescuers hands are not clean. Who was to adopt these kids? If you want to do the right thing, do it the right way. What annoys me is that they have been freed, on bail, I do not know. I am just too suspicious of people whose main focus is to “help” kids. Pedophiles hiding in plain sight some, I tell you.

Kafo said...

my nonsense laptop crashed and all i lost all the stuff i said

anywayz
here is the short
the truth is lacking from both sides on this story so it is hard to render justice

kidnapping is bad and i agree that there are too many ppl. who think that adopting and uprooting a child from their family provides them with beautiful life but i have to disagree with innergrabis there is No right way to do this. we are talking about Africa it is always about money and more money so there is a possiblity VERY SMALL that they wanted to circumvent the red tape and endless bribes (okay maybe not :) )

Unknown said...

@ kafo. I'm glad after you stated your position, you then said maybe not :). There is a right way to do things, it may be long and arduous but in the end they would have avoided this political/PR imbroglio they found themselves in. I wonder what their donors think about how their money was used. I for one would be furious.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.