Thursday, October 11, 2007

Ughhhhh...

One unexpected effect of being hung over at "work" on Thursday morning is increased efficiency. It may sound oxymoronic, but it is in fact borne of a reduced ability to multitask. In other words, since I barely have enough brainpower to focus on one thing, I might as well make my "job" the object of my concentration.

(All evidence to the contrary, seeing as I'm now on Blogger en route to Facebook, but in my opinion my anguish permits my hypocrisy.)

Thank God for ORT - yes, the very same Oral Rehydration Therapy formula that saved many a Nigerian child from death by diarrhea during the ad campaings of the late '80s. Laugh if you will - you can even deem me a locito - but the fact remains that this ORT that many effyziemongers will shun in snobbish horror is none other than the Gatorade that athletes all over have repurposed to stimulate physical prowess.

Thanks to my re-discovered, super-cheap, quick-fix hangover remedy, I will be hitting the bar again tonight. Viva the Midweek Booze Binge!

Friday: I didn't go. Couldn't be asked to sidestep my apartment in favor of a bar. These Americans want to deceive me - drinking is so very over-rated.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe in ORT but pray tell are there any electrolytes in it?

kulutempa said...

Indeed there are, but don't take my word for it. This from Wiki:

"Electrolyte solutions are normally formed when a salt is placed into a solvent such as water and the individual components dissociate due to the thermodynamic interactions between solvent and solute molecules, in a process called solvation. For example, when table salt, NaCl, is placed in water, the following occurs:

NaCl(s) → Na+ + Cl−
In simple terms, the electrolyte is a material that dissolves in water to give a solution that conducts an electric current."

Hence, electrolytes abound. They're ripping you off, those G-ade folks...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for bothering to answer, i kinda felt silly as soon as i posted the comment. I did my research and you are right.By the time you get past the "big grammer", salt reacts to sugar in water, voila.
My hubby was struck with rotavirus for one long week and the doctor sent us home and said "stock up on the gatorade to replace the lost electrolytes".

uknaija said...

See you on facebook :-)

Belema said...

Ort ? gatorade ? ...this is a light bulb moment for me ....Naija is really ahead of its time or maybe I should say we are the masters of improvisation :)