Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Allergic to Aging

With my 25th birthday looming, I've become even more introspective. I'm noticing a lot of changes in my being, physical and otherwise, and some of them are surprising, but I'm especially startled by how negatively I'm reacting to my transformation. I always thought I'd age gracefully, nonplussed about the mild lines that Time was drawing on my face, openly embracing the gray hairs huddled around my temples. Instead, I am acutely aware of every minute shift in my cellular construction. That which was comfortably transitory is now the perceived harbinger of a future, permanent ugliness that I struggle tirelessly to stave off. Now, for example, I refuse to look surprised, for fear that the wrinkles in my forehead will etch themselves in so deeply that I will look twice my age by the next day. It's a different truth I face. Now I know: I will not approach middle age with an air of confidence and pleasure in my accruing wisdom and still-youthful good looks. I will, in fact, be kicking and screaming all the way to 30 and possibly beyond. As much as I fear and loathe plastic surgery, I have caught myself on more than one occassion wondering what's so wrong with Botox....

Something else that's interesting about turning 25 is the issue of maternal instincts. Last year, I talked about my lack of said instincts and mentioned that I've never been attracted to the idea of motherhood. Loads of people have told me over the years that this is merely a phase I'll grow out of soon enough, when I reach The Age. A lot of people smugly ventured that I'd snap out of it when I turned 25. I dismissed them all, of course, but I'm starting to find that they were right, in an odd kind of way. They were right because recently I've found that I'm pretty obsessed with little people. But they were wrong because they didn't consider the fact that I am me, always have been and always will be.

Thus, my obsession hasn't taken the form that they predicted. I'm not suddenly preoccupied with loading fetus upon fetus into my uterus. On the contrary, I look upon the vermin - I mean, children - and am instantly hit with some very - what shall we call them? - strong reactions. I do, however, seek out these "bundles of joy" wherever I can, just so I can evoke those feelings and then examine them more closely.

Allow me to explain. Today, for example, I was on the Metro riding home from "work". A man walks onto the train, pushing a blond-haired toddler (boy) in one of those bizarrely huge strollers (is there really a purpose to making them that size?), the boy's equally blond big sister in tow. I was too busy daydreaming about something else to really give the boy child the attention that a true obsession warrants, but at some point during the ride, I absent-mindedly noticed him discover something mundane and look up to his father with pure glee written all over his food-stained face. Before I realized it, I was mentally insulting him. Within moments, I had declared him an idiot because he has no idea what is coming in the next months and years. He has no idea that the reckless happiness he exhibited on the train will seep out of his life, millimeter by millimeter, every day, until he becomes like the rest of us, teetering dangerously on the edge of bitterness and despondency. Soon, boredom will be his greatest enemy and closest companion. He will struggle at every other moment to find something to give his life just half the meaning he currently experiences every in his naivete. But here the fool sat, smiling because he could reach out from the tight security of his pushchair and touch the bacteria-infested metal pole in the middle of the subway car.

And so it was that, this evening, I realized that I would have no respect for my child should I deign to have one, simply because I will never accept their naivete as "cute" and "part of life". Instead, I will always wonder, casually and with a tinge of exasperation: "Why were you born so stupid and how long is it going to take you to learn a thing or two?" I'd fuck up a kid, really.

I have a revelation like this every month or so. Last month, I was trying to be a "big aunty" to my friend Chidi's daughter, who's four and can't count. She informed me of this with the same level of seriousness judges reserve for pronouncing death sentences. I dismissed her, mostly because I assume most kids don't know anything they're saying. But I should have believed her, because when I asked this girl how many teeth her baby brother has, she said, "Oh, he has PLENTY teeth - he has twelve!" Please note: the boy is a year old, and has two, maybe three teeth. And I should have believed her, because when I asked her how old she was, she said she was eight. But I really cannot fathom how a human being lives to the age of four, yet has no concept of numbers. So I wiped the incredulous look off my face, hitched up my bra and attempted to do the aunty thing: I tried to teach her how to count.

Having never spent that much time with a kid that age before, I had no concrete idea of how to go about it. I figured, you count to ten a few times, the kid should get the hang of it, eventually someone who's paid to do this will make it make more sense to them within a school setting. Still, I tried. I really did. But after the sixth round of counting, the girl was still counting like this: "1...2...[wait for me to say something, realize I'm not going to help, give it her best shot]...8...." I was pissed, man. First of all, how many times do I need to say 1-2-3 for you to get it? Second of all, what's your obsession with the number 8?? I gave up in disgust. But I was good; I didn't let her know how much of a disappointment she is. In fact, I praised her. I just said, "Good girl. Go play with your sister," and bounced on home, counting every step I took along the way. (947. Think you'll ever count that high, little girl??)

But I digress.

My obsession has definitely lifted since I have less time on my hands to indulge myself, but before I started "working", things were such that I'd wake up every morning and spend the first 4 or 5 hours of my day watching all baby-related shows on Discovery Health and TLC. I wanted to closely observe pregnant women, not because I thought they were beautiful natural creatures, but because I wanted to compare them to their "Before" pictures and rate how ugly they had become (say what you want, pregnancy ain't cute - especially not after month 6). Then I'd watch "Surviving Motherhood" so I could criticize all featured parenting methods, especially the mothers with "alternative" methods (bargaining with three-year-olds, etc.). I ended my sessions with "Bringing Home Baby", during which I would eagerly mock first-time parents to my heart's content as they struggled to adjust to their newborns, complaining about lack of sleep and how quick the younger mothers were to grow frustrated at their baby's refusal to "latch on". I especially enjoyed watching as they bargained with themselves and defended themselves against imaginary enemies ("It's something I've really struggled to accept, that I can't breastfeed, and there's no need for me to feel like a failure." Losers.). At the end of it all, I'd sit back, more convinced than ever that my life is perfect as it is and will always be perfect this way. Looking at people in that "phase" of life brings me contentment, and that feels great to me. Again, I make no apologies.

The only thing I'm going to like about being 25 is that I will finally be able to rent a car for under $100 - praise be to Allah, Buddha and Sango, no more doors are closed to me! I have been waiting for this day, when I can tell Budget and Avis to KISS MY FLAT ARSE with their no-rent policy for drivers under 25. It's kinda sad that this is all that's meaningful about this year, but...oh well. Wish me Happy Birthday on the 24th, somebody. I'll need it.

And to all the people who helped make last year's birthday the most memorable of my life, I miss you guys and wish I could re-live the whole thing. There never was anything like turning 24.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, so much for that idea. (The idea that you might consent to having a child for me.)

kulutempa said...

well...ahem...for YOU, i could make a concession :-). So long as you're on diaper duty.

Chxta said...

When is the day?

Now let me go and read the article. Might comment after work...

Atutupoyoyo said...

Hmph! Ashewo! I just dey look you o. Concession ko, Contraception ni

Have a nice bevday men. 25 is no age jare. You still fit in snugly into the bracket of a twenty something. From twenty seven like this, when the pot bele start to dey comot, u go dey hold on to that twenty-something tag like say they use am swear for you. Wait and see

Talatu-Carmen said...

Ah, 25, wetin you dey talk? Lokacin da 30 ya zo, wallahi tallahi, za ki mutu... Amma, na gane abin da kike cewa.

UndaCovaSista said...

"That which was comfortably transitory is now the perceived harbinger of a future, permanent ugliness that I struggle tirelessly to stave off". That's what i call a well strung together sentence!

On the issue of children, could it be a little case of -the lady doth protest too much? And before you stone me, it's just a thought...(lol)

kulutempa said...

@ atutu: look me well well! but for real, 25 no be age. ah well!
@ talatu: zan mutu ai! shi ne inna fada! Lol...
@ undacova: i 'protesteth', it is true, but it's the obsession. read am well... :-)

Atutupoyoyo said...

@undacova: I concur. The girl is a professional sentence stringer. I go tif this one and use am like say na my papa dash me.

metameme said...

i believe this is the 24th so... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

you're a fantastic writer (i do NOT say this lightly), and one thing i wish for your 25th year - more for us than for you, truth be grudgingly told - is many more blogposts. oh, and many many rental cars:) (that's all you!)

and lots of introspection - you started out your post by saying you've been a lot more introspective. the ability to do that - to actually be inside your head and sit it out... that's a gift. i turned 24 just a month ago and i have NOT been faring well with introspection at all.

that being said, as far as children go, i hear you 100%. and not so much cos the little witless cretins seem to be subhuman on some level as the fact that... god. i mean, you go off and create an entire human being to fulfil some selfish whim (now i am NOT judging parents - seriously. but there isn't a single unselfish reason to cite in defense of having a biological child)... and you have NO idea what life holds for you - let alone this entire person you've now created. what if he/she is the victim of a rapist/murderer? what is he/she IS the rapist/murderer? though that's not even the point. i'm actually not sure what is so, back to you!

A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY. be well.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Kulutempa. A little present to help you feel young again.

uknaija said...

Happy Birthday Kulu....and don't forget to celebrate and have fun amidst all the philosophizing

Perfectly Human said...

Happy belated 25th!!! You're 5yrs from 30...so when are you getting married??? lol. Smile regardless of the lines they will create on your face!

Ozymandias said...

kulu !!...kulu!!..tempa !!! Happy Birthday o jare..hope you had a fun filled day...lots of blessings and good will to you !!! Chop that cake small samll o !! lol

Moody Crab said...

Lol...very funny post. Happy belated birthday and hope you had fun

kulutempa said...

thanks for the birthday love, guys! i had a great day - i'll tell you about it soon enough :-)

kulutempa said...

by the way, patrice, i played this game of yours - if i was born on any planet further than jupiter, i'd be nonexistent. and if i were born on mars, i'd be only 13. none of this was comforting to me...lol...in an odd way, i suppose you've given me a new perspective on my current situation - i now have two reasons to be happy i'm 25 :-)

Anonymous said...

i cant believe this is a belated one cuz i was reading this on your birthday! jus didnt get to the 24th bit till jus now..
babae not everyone needs to be a mother jare, i mean, to borrow an overbeaten joke, hitler's mum should probably have insisted baba hitler used a rubber that night!

happy birthday babe. hope u had a geat day? i remember seeing your pics last year.. crazy to think i've been haunting your blog over a year now!

Unknown said...

I nearly snorted my Coke Zero (I started typing Cock Zero, my god, what am I thinking!?!) when I read about your insulting the child!

Happy birthday and please, do shut up about resisting it. As a soon-to-be 37-year-old, I can say with all surety that 25 is not old, nowhere near old, not even in the same ball park as old, it's not even the same sport as old. Please enjoy being 25, have fun! And yes, renting cars are part of the aforementioned fun.

Kafo said...

i still laughing

preoccupied with loading fetus upon fetus into my uterus

mercy

okay maybe they were wrong and the correct age is 30

i have no clue if it ever turns on in some ppl.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated 25, enjoy being young will it last. I wish I could go back been 25. Old is when you are 30 and above, trust me it comes with more responsiblity than 20's. If you are not married by 30, u got ur family on your neck and if u are married, u are now someone's wife, mother. It's a responsibility i love to play but it can be stressful.

Anonymous said...

Omoge, on aging, Mark Twain said it best Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

On motherhood, at first I was aghast at your view of the issue and then you had me laughing, you certainly have a way with words and you know that you've got skills when you can evoke different emmotions out of your readers).All in all, I am glad that you came to the realization that having kids is not your cup of tea because yes, you will F a kid up BIG TIME.. Happy belated b-day

cheers

Tutsy said...

LMAO.....wouldn't suggest u ever babysit for anyone....'cuz ain't no telling what u might do to their kids.....lol

I have to say i do agree with u on the whole "maternal instincts" thoery...sometimes i think motherhood is so overated. Glad urs finally kicked in though.....as for me...lets just say i really doubt if that train is ever gonna come....lol.

Least i forget happy belated birthday dear.... Now u get to rent a car as an "adult"....Amen to that!!!....i have to agree with u on the whole rental thingy. Hell, for me, that was the only benefit of turning 25.