Monday, August 20, 2007

Sozaboy: A Novel in Rotten English

I'm reading Ken Saro-Wiwa's Sozaboy for the umpteenth time. I never get tired of it, and I will say over and over again how much I love this book, and not just because I love the guy who wrote it. It's hilarious. Written in the same style adopted (abused and bastardized) by Uzodinma Iweala, who wrote Beasts of No Nation...man, that book absolutely sucked eggs. I don't really apologize for saying that - all you people who gushed and gushed about it, making me spend money I could have spent on an infinitely better read, deserve 40 lashes of a nail-studded whip! Jesus, it was bad! I finished it only because I could see it was short, but it took me all day when it should have taken me hours - the added time came from minutes spent frowning, agitatedly rubbing my eyes and forehead, huffing, flinging the book across the room, stomping over to pick it back up...you get the picture. HORRIBLE BOOK!!

Anyway, indulge me - this excerpt is one of my favorite parts of Sozaboy. The character speaking is Mene, the book's narrator, a young man from Dukana (an Ogoni village) who is, at this point, trying to decide whether to join the army and fight in the Nigerian civil war, which is just beginning. Prior to the 'thick man' (who strangely reminds me of the author) preaching his insultive 'sermon' ("And salt must be inside your salt otherwise they will throw you away like mumu, foolish idiot. Amen."), there was a scarcity of salt in Dukana, which raised the price from 2p to one shilling per cup. The excerpt reads:

Then the thick man begin to walk to the pulpit. Everywhere was quiet. What is the thick man going to say? Will he speak English and use terprita [interpreter] or will he speak Kana? So I was thinking all these things when the man begin to pray. Everybody said Amen and then they sat down. Waiting. To hear. What the thick man will say. This thick man wey no dey go church. But who have come to church today.

As you know, when catechist stands up to preach in pulpit, this thing can never end. He will be shouting, abusing woman who goes to another man, he will be saying anything that comes to his head. He can amuse the people too, oh. But today, the thick man is very serious. He just take one line from the Bible. 'You people are the salt in the soup.' Salt in the soup! Have you heard anything like this before? Porson is salt in the soup? I begin to turn this thing for my mind, and after some time I begin to understand. Because if salt is not inside soup, then it cannot be soup at all. Nobody can fit to chop it. Therefore, that salt is very important to everyone. To the soup and to the people who will chop the soup too. Then the thick man asked: 'Suppose that salt no get salt inside it, what will happen?' This kain question na war oh. How can salt not get salt inside it. Ehn? How can salt not get salt inside? Will it be salt? It cannot be salt. Oh yes, it cannot be salt. That is what the man was saying. I 'gree with am. Awright, if na we be the salt, and we no get salt inside our salt wey be ourselves, can we be ourselves? Wait oh. Wait oh. Wait small. Make I no too confuse. Say this thing again, thick man. Yes. If na we be the salt, and we no get salt inside our salt wey be ourselves, can we be ourselves? Look, my friend, I no dey for all this ugbalugba case. Abi, dis man think that we are in University? Am I not common motor apprentice? How can I understand this salt and ourselves and no be salt and 'e be salt?

I love the way he forms Mene's thoughts, aptly capturing both his simple nature and the innately human complexities he carries around but cannot always explain. In this contemporary age of Nigerian Civil War revival, this is definitely a good book to read for those who want to mentally engage in that struggle, yet not be totally bogged down by the despair. And you can compare it to that infernal Beasts of No Nation and tell me who better deserves critical acclaim :-). Ken Saro-Wiwa the writer - let's not forget that aspect of the man, shall we?

Available on Amazon from $6.65 (used) and $16 (new).

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, you have that big an issue with Iweala?

Okunrin meta

Nonesuch said...

i havent read both books but i think i'm more than fired to go get it and read.

PS:i didnt get the hype about Iweala too.

Kafo said...

the whole thought process in the kid's mind had mii going.

i'm really tempted to order this book right now just to experience his musings a lil' longer

Atutupoyoyo said...

Funnily enough I was debating the merits of this book with a friend not too long ago. We started off talking about The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time and other books that are 'easy' to write. Funnily enough he brought this one up and said anyone can just string a few meaningless sentences together. It was clear that he had not really read the book.

Mene's character has always reminded me of Voltaire's Candide because of his endearing naïveté. I would not be surprised if the latter was a direct influence. The character is a very accurate portrayal of the Nigerian everyman just trying to just make it through the day. Everyone Nigerian knows a Mene and this is what makes the tale so funny and personal. The displacement of war is merely a backdrop because this is essentially a human story. I could go on an on about it but you have pretty much nailed the core of the book in your post.

I must confess that I am yet to read Beasts of No Nation so unfortunately I cannot make an honest comparison. However, for anyone looking for a satire of Nigerian pastoral life, the Military and the use of the English language as a whole, Sozaboy takes some beating.

Anonymous said...

i havent read either :( i know i know *hides her head in shame.
however as a hopeless fan of both excerpter and excerptee, i agree whole-heartedly!! lol

Talatu-Carmen said...

I totally agree with you. Brilliant novel. I was just recommending it yesterday to someone starting a study abroad programme in Nigeria--who was talking about having the students read Achebe. Yes, Achebe, of course, Achebe... but come on why is he the only Nigerian author everyone automatically puts on their syllabi? Sozaboy is one of those books that is not talked about enough.

Haven't read Iweala yet, but it's been in my purse for the past year because it LOOKS like a short read.

Chxta said...

Ever heard the word nepotism?




















































I haven't read the novel so I'm in no position to comment...

Perfectly Human said...

You know to be honest, i don't like BONN either. I haven't finished eading since i received it in the mail a month ago...i just can't put my brain through such headache...surely he could have used better language. Although i get what he was going for but i just couldn't do it!
I read Sozaboy a long time ago but seeing as i was a child then i didn't get the concept...now i'll add it to my librabry of African authors.

Anonymous said...

I really liked reading Sozaboy too! I'm about to write a paper on it. Haven't read Beasts of No Nation so I'm in no position to comment on it. Perhaps my paper will end up being a comparison of the two works. Anyhow, Louise Bennett, the jamaican poet, is really good for "misusing" the English language. Actually, her poems are written in patois and they're hilarious.

bschweiz said...

Totally agree with you! Iweala is a HACK compared to the brilliance of Saro-Wiwa. I'm writing a comparative paper on both as we speak.