Tuesday, October 10, 2006

To My Favorite Short Man


So here we are: another October 10. It's been 11 years since I could see or hear you dismiss my ever-enthusiastic "Happy Birthday" with a wave of your hand and a mutter about how people are always so unnecessarily excited about so frivolous a thing. 11 years since I could see the twinkle in your eye that told me you secretly enjoyed the attention, even my birthday hug and kiss.

I'm upset because my memories of you, of us, are getting more and more blurry every year. I'm going to have to write things down before they disappear completely. I don't really remember what your voice sounds like anymore. I only vaguely recall how warm and woody your room used to smell because of all the pipe tobacco, and how the smoke obscured the light of the bedside lamp. I remember typing lessons at your office, and my pathetic short stories that you were always so happy to read, and the day you let me "edit" someone's first attempt at a novel so I could tell you my opinion afterward. Clearly, you didn't think much of his work, and it wasn't very appropriate reading for an 11-year-old, but boy, did I feel important!

I remember how you never drank more than half a bottle of beer at any given time, and how you always ate with a fork and knife, even when you were eating pounded yam with Mama's catfish soup and piagara. Weirdo. And there was the time I was (allegedly) rude to someone and wouldn't apologize, so you tried to make me kneel down and apologize to you after she left. Looking back, that was hilarious. I was about 10, we were almost the same height, and we must have had almost the exact same look of stubborn anger on our faces as you willed me to kneel and I willed you to piss off. I finally apologized three hours later, with hot tears of frustration streaming down my face. You patted my back, we forgave each other; it was over. Good times, good times. The last time I saw you, you were in a cell at Bori Camp. It was too hot, the walls of the building were various shades of brown, and they only allowed one person in to see you at a time. I couldn't really talk to you because I was scared and a bit upset, but just when I was starting to warm up, we had to leave. We've since talked about what I wanted to tell you that day, so I won't bring it up again. But don't forget what I said. I meant it then, and still do now.

So those are the memories I have to hold on to. Those, and I try to remember your birthday and your death-day, so we can have a little chat about times gone past. You'd have been 65 today (eek!), but in my mind, you're still in your 40s, playing football and table tennis at the club with young men half your age and giving them a run for their money.

To think that all I have left are memories.

You weren't perfect, but I love you. I love that you were always gentle, and that you always seemed to know everything. I love that you engaged my mind at every moment, never caring that I was young, never caring that I didn't yet understand everything we talked about. I love that you made up games for us to play that would only have been fun to a kid like me because they were always about words. I love that you gave me the gift of words, though the transfer was cut short by those immoral, illiterate yokels who took you away from us. May they never have a moment's peace.

So, Jeje, this is just to say that I miss you, with your short self. Happy Birthday. I hope you're happier now, wherever you are.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I truly believe that his soul lives on in you. I celebrate his life and birthday with you.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to your dad....growing up in PHC, I remember very well the period when he was in prison and when he was killed and how it affected the whole state. He was truly a hero to many and will continue to be respected and remembered. May his soul continue to rest in peace..AMEN. Regards to you and your family....

Anonymous said...

A great man indeed! I always admired his work.It touched me with lots of laughter. i believe our departed loved ones live on as angels watching over us.I know he watches you always...with a smile

Anonymous said...

R.I.P...and happy birthday to a great man.

Anonymous said...

Kulutempa,
It is also my Father's birthday today and when I think of how much it means to me to have him, I can only begin to imagine the magnitude of your loss. May your Dad's soul keep resting in peace and may you continue to find the strength to uphold his legacy by living this life that you have.

-o

Anonymous said...

I now totally see from where you derive your wit.

Lucky kiddo
Happy Birthday Daddy.

Uzo said...

Ah the great Ken Saro-Wiwa. Soza Boy is one of my favorite reads. Interestingly my dad talked about him earlier this week...That's where you get the gift of wordws from..It is well

Anonymous said...

it appears the fruit didn't fall far from the tree. its always interesting how parents train kids with the confidence that they will extend thier work later on their lives irrespective of the initial intensity of the child's interest. malcolm x reminds me of the same phenemenon. his parents prepared him intellectually early in his life, and even though he strayed a little as "detroit red," those lessons came back to sustain him and allow him access to the best of his potential. your light is SO obvious kulutempa. i'm excited to see the flower continue to blossom.

kulutempa said...

thanks, all. i truly appreciate the outpouring of love, especially the fact that you all still remember him, and you remember him fondly. i feel really blessed for having read all your comments. thanks a lot!

NaijaBloke said...

Kulu pele I feel u jere.AT least u are able to remember some fond memories.

U dis gurl sef ..na ur papa u dey refer too as "his short self"..LOL

Have a nice day dear

Anonymous said...

The beauty of those silent words, your ability to bring the past back to life ... It were though dad was but a phone call away.

The foundation was laid, keep the light lit.

Anonymous said...

i loved reading this, i thought it was beautiful to focus on the happy memories, all of which are treasures. you have an amazing gift for words.

thanks for sharing this

Anonymous said...

S, didn't c this coming right? but u know this was gon b the 1st thing i read on here. much love and respect to ur dad...i pray ceaselessly for the repose of his soul(seriously o).
and i keep tellin u that u ain't gotta fish....u write beautifully; with a kind of natural flow,u know, kinda how them rappers like Jay Z spit flows so 2nd-naturely. may ur light stay lit foreel! ickles

kulutempa said...

mr. little!!! wow, you're right, i didn't see this coming! i'm sure you've used up your reading quota for the week on me, but i'm really glad you stopped by. miss you tonz!

uknaija said...

Oh Kulu- this is so beautiful and poignant- you should publish it!

Ledor Igboh said...

This must be a bit akward to get a comment from me,but I confess that I have been reading your blogs..The writing is fascinating and you make me laugh dangerously. What I really wanted to say was that your note to your dad is sad and beautiful. I write to my father everyday in my thoughts and cradle them privately with fear of forgetting.

Anonymous said...

i like this! but i do not like "fear" people who live in fear do bad things. a woman lived in fear and ended up selling her body to old men, for money.
girls, stop doing bad stunts